Heart patients are on the rise worldwide these days, owing to a variety of factors, including changes in lifestyle, habits, and health. In some cases, heart valves must be replaced entirely to ensure that all four valve heart chambers function properly. With medical advancements and affordable healthcare, India has emerged as a prime location for treating heart diseases. In this article, we will see the heart valve replacement cost in India.
The two main functions of heart valves are listed below. If any of the heart valves are unable to perform their functions, they must be repaired or replaced.
- To open correctly so that the chamber can be emptied of blood
- To properly close so that blood can flow forward
The heart comprises four chambers that pump blood from the heart to the rest of the body: the Tricuspid, Pulmonary, Mitral, and Aortic valves. If any of these valves fails, a person may experience symptoms such as chest pain, dizziness, fatigue, and shortness of breath. So consult your doctor immediately.
The replacement of valves with artificial components is the goal of heart valve surgery, which is a major heart operation. This procedure ensures that your heart functions properly, resulting in a longer and healthier life. In addition, it lowers the risk of heart attacks and other heart-related fatalities.
There are two ways to perform a heart valve replacement procedure:
- Open-Heart surgery – The heart is stopped for some time while the surgeon repairs or replaces the valve using the traditional heart surgery method, which involves a large incision in the chest.
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery – Newer techniques for replacing heart valves, in which doctors make smaller incisions across the chest.
What is the heart valve replacement cost in India?
In India, how much does it cost to replace your heart valves? If you’re looking for a heart valve replacement in India, it is an important question to ask. If you need a heart valve replacement, India is a great place because it has excellent medical facilities and comparatively low medical costs.
The heart valve replacement cost in India varies by city and can range from USD 4000 to USD 10000, depending on the patient’s condition and the hospital.
Heart valve replacement costs in India vs other countries
Heart valve replacement cost in India is less expensive than in other countries. The below-mentioned table will show you an estimated cost of heart valve replacement in various countries in comparison to India:
|Procedure||United States||Costa Rica||India||Korea||Mexico||Thailand|
|Heart Valve Replacement||USD 170000||USD 30000||USD 5500||USD 45000||USD 18000||USD 21000|
What causes the need for a heart valve replacement?
A heart valve disorder can manifest itself as chest discomfort, a rapid heart rate, and breathlessness over time. Valve replacement or repair is required in such a situation.
|● Symptoms of certain heart infections
● History of heart disease / Heart Attack
● High cholesterol, diabetes, and high blood pressure are just a few of the health issues that you may face
● Unhealthy lifestyle
|● Regurgitation – Blood leaks backward into your heart when valve flaps don’t close properly.
● Stenosis – When valve flaps become thick it narrows the valve opening and reduces blood flow.
● Atresia – Blood flow between chambers is obstructed by a layer of tissues.
The recovery time after surgery is usually four to eight weeks, but it varies depending on the patient’s condition. However, some precautions must be followed if a patient has recently had heart valve replacement surgery, as failure to do so could result in severe repercussions.
- Physical exertion should be avoided after the surgery for at least 3 months or as suggested by your surgeon.
- For at least 4 weeks, do not engage in sexual activity.
- Water pressure should not be allowed to hit your incision directly.
- Exercising and doing strenuous activities should be avoided.
- Smoking and drinking should be avoided.
Life: Post Surgery
Many people wonder if they will live a normal life after having their heart valves replaced. Yes, with rehabilitation patients are back to normal in no time. All you have to do now is take care of a few minor details, and everything will be back to normal. Following are some recommendations for after-surgery practices:
- All medications should be taken as directed
- Getting adequate sleep
- Participating in prescribed activities, such as walking, but not excessively
- Heart conditioning programs are available at many gyms
Here are some statistics to give you a fair idea of how heart disease is one of the most serious diseases that people are concerned about around the world.
- According to the World Health Organization, heart disease was responsible for 28% of all fatalities in India.
- In India, cardiac illness was responsible for 14% of all disabilities.
- In 2016, 17.9 million people died from cardiovascular disease (CVD), accounting for 31% of all deaths worldwide.
The surgery proves to be one of the most effective ways to improve a patient’s quality of life by enhancing the ability of the heart to pump blood throughout the body. With the reasonableheart valve replacement cost in India, patients get access to world-class health care at a fraction of the amount in western countries. It is why India is a preferred destination for patients across the world for heart valve surgery.