We share the tips for cleaning tiles and joints with vinegar, baking soda, even steam, as well as the best products to deal with germs, mold and other microorganisms to leave surfaces stain-free and disinfected. No more worried of Clean your bathroom title and even kitchen tile, get ready to remove germs in few moments.
Tiles are very common in almost all bathrooms and kitchens, as well as the problems to clean them correctly. However, getting rid of the remains of soap, foam or scale that accumulate on them is easier than you think. Learn the tips to clean bathroom and kitchen tiles!
- Baking soda
How to clean stained bathroom tiles with baking soda
Baking soda is a great option if you don’t know how to clean stained bathroom tiles. It will also help you to remove soap scum, mold, fungus and dirt:
- Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with water
until it forms a paste.
- Place the paste on the surface of the tile and let it act
for an hour.
- Rub with a sponge and remove the solution
with a dry or slightly damp cloth.
- To complement your cleaning, mix ¼ cup of white vinegar
and two cups of water.
- Clean again.
You just have to moisten a sponge and pass it over the tiles. Then let it act for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the tiles with hot water to remove any residue
and finish with a damp cloth.
How to clean bathroom tiles so they are shiny
If your tiles are very dirty and have lost their shine, don’t worry: there are several options to solve the problem. In all cases, always use rubber gloves to clean and try to keep the place well ventilated.
- Apply a cleaning product directly to the surface. We recommend Cif Cream , which provides maximum cleaning with minimum effort.
- If the stains are very persistent, you can use an old toothbrush or sponge. Then rinse with a clean cloth.
- If you want to disinfect, apply a product with bleach, such as Vim Bleach in Gel , directly on the part to be treated.
- Let sit following the product’s recommendations, then scrub with a stiff bristle brush.
- After cleaning, be sure to rinse your tiles well with water until all traces of product are removed.
- To finish, remove shine. A foolproof technique is to rub with a dry cloth after rinsing.
How to remove scale from tiles
If you don’t know how to remove tartar from the bathroom and walls, vinegar can be your great ally. I followed these steps:
- Mix a glass of vinegar with the juice of half a lemon and dissolve everything in half a liter of cold water.
- Use the mixture on the area with tartar. Apply it with a sponge directly on the stains and let the product act for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If the stains don’t come off easily, another good way to learn how to descale bathroom walls is to mix equal parts vinegar and water. Put the mixture in a sprayer and spray the tiles.
- Let it work for a few minutes and scrub the stains with a sponge or soft-bristled brush.
- Rinse the tiles well. Then pass them a damp cloth and a dry one to give them shine.
How to clean bathroom and kitchen tiles with vinegar and baking soda
To keep the tiles clean, we advise you to follow these tips on how to clean bathroom tiles with vinegar and baking soda:
cleaning with vinegar
- Dilute the spirit vinegar in half a cup of water and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on the tiles and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Wipe a clean cloth dipped in warm water to finish cleaning them and remove the vinegar.
- Pass another rag to dry the surface.
cleaning with baking soda
- Mix half a cup (about 100 g) of baking soda with boiling water.
- Put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray the tiles. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Scrub with a brush until the black spots are completely gone.
- Clean the area with water and detergent.
How to clean tile joints
Both baking soda and vinegar are the ideal solution for cleaning bathroom ceramics and, above all, joints. We share the following tips for cleaning tile joints:
- Baking soda: sprinkle the joints with the product. Leave to act for about 15 minutes and rub them with a toothbrush dipped in hot water.
- Vinegar: Mix equal parts vinegar and water, then pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Apply directly to the stain and leave to act for a few minutes. If necessary, scrub with a brush.
- Cleaning products: you can use Cif Gel with Lavandina Ultra Blanco . You just have to apply the product directly to the joints and then rub it in with a toothbrush. We also recommend Cif Trigger 2 in 1 , which removes allergens and mites and eliminates 99.9% of bacteria.
How to steam clean bathroom tiles
Know the tips to clean tiles with steam:
- An initial trick to cleaning the bathroom is to run the hot water in the shower for a couple of minutes before you start cleaning, as this will help soften the dirt and make the task easier.
- If you opt for a steam cleaner, the product opens the pores in the material’s surface and loosens the toughest grime. Be sure to rinse well with a clean cloth and remove all traces of the product, as they could cause new stains.
Now you know how to clean bathroom ceramics with steam. I discovered more tips on how to deep clean a bathroom .
How to clean kitchen tiles
Here we explain a step by step on how to clean the kitchen tiles and leave them as new:
- Apply a cleaning product directly to the surface. We recommend the Cif Fat Trigger , which helps to eliminate even burned fat.
- Dry with a soft cloth. You can use Cif Ballerina Multiuse to remove excess product and rub gently to shine.
Beware of dangerous combinations
Each cleaning product was designed for a specific task. However, it is important to avoid mixing some products at home.
- Never mix baking soda with vinegar. The combination of both generates gases that can damage the skin, throat, eyes and respiratory tract, among other parts of the body.
- Mixing these ingredients in closed containers, such as a bottle, can cause an explosion. In addition, the elements react with each other forming a salt that is not used to clean.
- Vinegar should not be mixed with hydrogen peroxide either, as it forms peracetic acid, which is also explosive; nor with bleach, because mixed they produce toxic vapors. I know all the dangerous mixtures .
The importance of learning how to disinfect tiles: some curious facts
There are places in the house such as the toilet bowl, the faucets, the flowers in the shower or the bathroom sink that can become reservoirs for microorganisms. Did you know that in a 10 square meter bathroom, 42% of the walls have bacteria, as do 40% of the floors?
- The use of bleach is essential to eliminate as many microorganisms as possible, because bacteria last for many days on surfaces. Shigella and Escherichia coli survive 3-5 days; salmonella, 12 days and enterococci more than 12 days.
- It is also necessary to apply disinfectant products, since bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Klebsiella spp and Pseudomonas can grow in considerable numbers in toilet water, and are sprayed out when we press the toilet button.