If you’ve lost teeth due to injury, decay, or any other reason, dental implants can be an excellent solution for you. They provide the closest possible replacement to natural teeth, and with proper care, they can last a lifetime. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about dental implants in Aberdeen, including the procedure, types, benefits, and aftercare. So if you’re looking for an Aberdeen dentist who can help you with dental implants, keep reading!
What Are Dental Implants?
Artificial tooth roots, also known as dental implants, are inserted into the jawbone to uphold a replacement tooth or bridge. Typically constructed from titanium or other materials that are biocompatible with the human body, dental implants are a favored option for individuals who have lost one or more teeth. This is because they offer a durable base for the replacement teeth to be anchored on.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two main types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants – These are the most common type of dental implant. They are placed into the jawbone and are shaped like small screws, cylinders or plates. They are used to support one or more artificial teeth and are suitable for people with healthy jawbone tissue.
- Subperiosteal implants – These implants are placed under the gum but above the jawbone. They are used for people who have a shallow jawbone and cannot support endosteal implants. Subperiosteal implants are also suitable for people who cannot wear dentures.
The Dental Implant Procedure
The dental implant procedure involves several steps:
- Consultation – The first step is to consult with your dentist or oral surgeon. They will examine your teeth and jawbone and determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
- Dental implant placement – During this step, the implant is placed into the jawbone. A small incision is made in the gum, and the implant is inserted into the jawbone. The gum is then stitched up, and a temporary crown is placed on top of the implant.
- Healing – The implant needs to fuse with the jawbone, a process known as osseointegration. This process can take several weeks or months, depending on your individual case.
- Abutment placement – Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, an abutment is placed on top of the implant. This will hold the replacement tooth or bridge.
- Replacement tooth placement – The final step is to attach the replacement tooth or bridge to the abutment.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer several benefits over other tooth replacement options, such as dentures or bridges. These benefits include:
- Improved appearance – Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, so they can improve your appearance and confidence.
- Better speech – Dentures or bridges can slip or move, which can affect your speech. Dental implants provide a stable foundation for replacement teeth, so you can speak clearly.
- Improved comfort – Dental implants are more comfortable than dentures or bridges, as they do not put pressure on the gums.
- Improved eating – Dentures or bridges can make it difficult to eat certain foods. Dental implants function like natural teeth, so you can eat all of your favorite foods without any problems.
- Durability – Dental implants are a long-lasting tooth replacement option. With proper care, they can last a lifetime.
Aftercare for Dental Implants
After getting dental implants, it is important to practice good oral hygiene to keep them in good condition. Here are some aftercare tips for dental implants:
- Brush and floss regularly – Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once a day to remove plaque and food particles from your teeth and implants.
- Visit your dentist regularly – Schedule regular checkups with your dentist to ensure that your implants are in good condition.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods – Avoid eating hard or sticky foods that can damage your implants or cause them to become loose.
- Quit smoking – Smoking can increase the risk of implant failure, so it is important to quit smoking if you are a smoker.
- Use a mouthguard – If you play sports or grind your teeth at night, use a mouthguard to protect your implants.
Dental Services in Aberdeen
If you live in Aberdeen and are interested in dental implants, there are several dental clinics that offer this service. In addition to dental implants, these clinics also offer a range of other dental services, including:
- Dental Filling Aberdeen – Dental fillings are used to repair teeth that have been damaged by decay or injury. They are a common dental procedure that can help prevent further damage to the teeth.
- Emergency Dentist Aberdeen – If you have a dental emergency, such as a toothache or broken tooth, you can visit an emergency dentist in Aberdeen. They will provide prompt treatment to relieve your pain and prevent further damage to your teeth.
- Oral Hygiene Clinic Aberdeen – Oral hygiene clinics offer a range of services to help you maintain good oral hygiene. These services include teeth cleaning, fluoride treatments, and oral health education.
- Teeth Whitening Aberdeen – Teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that can improve the appearance of your teeth. It involves using a special gel to remove stains and discoloration from the teeth.
- Composite Bonding Treatment Aberdeen – Composite bonding is a dental procedure that can improve the appearance of chipped, cracked, or discolored teeth. It involves applying a tooth-colored resin to the teeth to reshape and restore their appearance.
- Invisalign Aberdeen – Invisalign is a clear aligner system that can straighten your teeth without the need for traditional braces. It is a popular option for people who want to improve their smile without the inconvenience of metal braces.
- Lip Filler Aberdeen – Lip filler is a non-surgical cosmetic treatment that involves injecting a dermal filler into the lips to add volume and shape, resulting in a fuller and plumper appearance.
For individuals who have lost their teeth due to various reasons such as decay, injury, or other factors, dental implants in Aberdeen are an ideal solution. These implants offer a reliable base for replacement teeth that have the look and feel of natural teeth. If you’re considering dental implants or any other dental services in Aberdeen, it is advisable to seek advice from your dentist or visit a dental clinic to explore your options.
Additionally, it is essential to maintain good oral hygiene and adhere to your dentist’s aftercare instructions to ensure the longevity of your implants.